Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Inglés

English major.

Why?

I can't exactly put into words but I'll try.

English is my second language, I am fluent in Spanish primarily and then English, but why did I choose to change to an English major? 

I have a few points.

First off, I wanted to show that it is possible for a non-native speaker to master this language.
Second, I've always loved creative writing--even though I have lost my practice with it.
Third, I want to help people--especially teenagers and adults-- lose their fear of this language. I know one too many people that absolutely hate anything to do with the English subject. Especially with those whom had a different first language. But I want to help people use their words on paper to transmit the intelligence, ideas, and emotion that lie within. I feel I have a gift of helping people improve their writing and I want to do just that. 
Fourth, in high school I thought about this career path but chose to stick to my other calling (child development) because I didn't feel like radon old English for years. Now, I know that English has become more than just Anglo-Saxon literature, English has expanded it's wings. Along with that, I don't have to have a plan for a huge novel or be a poet to pursue English.

I guess this is a shorter post than the prior, but it means a lot to me to have changed my major, and this is a short glimpse as to why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment